Wednesday 19 June 2013

Subdivision.

When I made the 'Fork in the Road' post my mind was working faster than I could type so a bit of backstory here is needed.
The other decision - one that I still haven't made is whether the project should be made of brand new or second user parts.
I look at around my home and most of what's in there is second hand. When something breaks or wears out I replace it and usually it's second hand. My current bicycle I bought new, but I have 'a few others' that aren't. I ride them regularly and they're all very different. I know I couldn't have afforded that lot those new. If I use second hand parts from donor bikes each tricycle would be inherently different to the next, due to the availability of different components. That's quite exciting in itself, each one would be unique. But does a frame number make a bike unique?
Using new parts would give uniformity and increase longevity of the trike, but would you rather have a    Matisse or a print of a Matisse?
And how much would it affect the price?
I know - I haven't costed anything. Commonsense would tell you it that it would be cheaper to make a trike out of other bicycles, but would it be cheaper in terms of after sales service?
That really is the big question.
It comes down to the customer, I guess.
I probably wouldn't buy a tricycle, because I know I could make one for far less than a shop bought one.
If I knew I didn't have the skills to make one then I would buy a quality built one.
There - I think I've answered my own question.
New parts, I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment