Thursday 27 June 2013

Rust Never Sleeps.

Love the Neil Young song.
Don't love rust.
The frame is a lot worse than I thought.
I had intended to leave the front forks and bottom bracket in place, but made the decision to separate the forks. They weren't turning that well so will clean and repack.
You know, it must be a long time since I used my large spanners - as I can't find them.
I improvised with a pipe wrench which I was going to use very carefully, but as it turned out they were only on hand tight.
Will need to sort spanners before reassembly.
The real dilemma is what to do about the paint.
I'm beginning to think it may be too far gone to patch. I can kill the rust and oil it, but it'll still look like a rusty bike. If I touch it up, it'll look like a touched up rusty bike. If I repaint it, I think I've lost the bike and any future owner won't have the choice.
Really big decision...

1 comment: