Wednesday 29 May 2013

Why Me? The Biography.

Most biographies are written in the third person, with a tone of professional detachment. The reality is that they are in fact autobiographies, but they are written in a way to suggest that another person thinks as highly of them as they do themselves.
This one will be in the first person, set in a pub after a few pints. I'll write it myself as my drinking partner will remember less about it than I do, but I will be honest and admit that it is quite selective, with some parts embellished and others glossed over.

I was born in Essex in 1962 and moved to Cornwall as a three year old. I feel that wearing white socks with black shoes is part of my cultural inheritance and I did try this combination out in the late 1980's. I must say that it felt quite natural.
Did I mention that this may not be chronologically accurate?
My secondary education was a mix of attending an all boys Grammar School and a Comprehensive School. Both very different. Who'd have thought you could sit beside a girl in a classroom?
I left in 1980 (never being caned) and then 'did' a Foundation Course at Falmouth School of Art. A year of pasties and a Morris 1000 van. Oh, and art.
Between 1981 and 1984 I studied (loosely) Fine Art at Gloucestershire College of Arts and Technology. I say loosely, as it was three years of studio practice rather than a structured course. During this period I went to Bordeaux for 12 weeks as part of an exchange programme. Other students who participated have dressed exchanges up as competitive awards or scholarships. It wasn't. I did make a lot of floaty things that I threw in la Gironde, which saved me taking them home.  The French Odyssey deserves more than a few lines, but not here. Back in Cheltenham I developed a passion of 'hot metal processes', a right bicep that could equal Popye's and experienced both love and loss. I still have my favourite hammer from that era. A two pound Stanley ball-pein. It was about £12 at the time, so a big investment. I left with a shiny B.A.(Hons) and was totally unemployable.
After a year of being on the dole then working in a pub, I decided to obtain a vocational qualification. You know - 'get meself a career'.
I trained to be a teacher of Design and Technology at Gwent College of Higher Education. I was the odd man out. The other students were from engineering and design backgrounds. I was the sculptor who couldn't keep a sheet of paper clean.
I finished the course and left. The next section of my life involved working as unfortunately I couldn't extend my 5 years in college any further. After a variety of other jobs  I taught for about 20 years, in Special Schools and mainstream schools. I didn't hate teaching, I actually grew to like it  but it was always just a job.
I've hung up my gown and put away the mortar board for the last time and am currently employed as a full-time Eco-Warrior.

I hear you ask "So how and why does this experience equip you to design and build your own tricycle?"
I understand the design and manufacturing processes - and maybe most importantly - recognise my limitations. I like making things and I like thinking about making things - and I've assisted many people through the design process to achieve their goals. My day job gives me opportunities to look at a lot of end of life bicycles. I do get bicycle envy, which is probably a good thing.
Enough for the second post!

No comments:

Post a Comment